Sunday, April 20, 2008

Thing #19: Campfire

I am not a frequent instant messenger or chat room person, but I have been trying to think about how to incorporate this type of communication in my future library. I viewed the tour video for Campfire, an instant messaging for groups website. You set up a password protected page, and up to 60 people at a time can be in a "room". The neat thing about it is you can share files, links to websites, and images as well as "talk" to one another. I'm wondering if this would work as a "homework help" or "virtual reference desk".
Something fun I tried was One_Sentence, which as it's name suggests is a website of one sentence stories. Talk about getting to the gist of a story! What an exercise of word economy! It was fun to browse and read the things people have shared in just one sentence - from the touching to the humorous thoughts. The best way to find something on a particular topic is to go to the "stories" tab and find the tag cloud. I like this one about kids "Asked by my small daughter, 'How long does a clock take?', I had to wonder." Aren't those little grown-ups just amazing? (I submitted one, but won't know if it's posted until I get the confirmation email.) Update: Here's the link to my submission: http://www.onesentence.org/stories/2112/ Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment