Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thing #15: Library 2.0

As a library school student, I must admit that I started this journey because I really love sharing books with students! So thinking about the library changing from what I knew as a child to what it will be when I have one of my own makes me a little nervous. However, much of what I have learned this semester reminds me that books are great, but students really connect to the digital world. It's strange to me. I don't particularly enjoy sitting for hours in front of the computer, but boy is it a great way to connect and learn! I struggle with what to embrace. I think I have decided that I will love both the print and the digital elements of my future library. You just can't have one and not the other!
The writers of the OCLC newsletter had some great thoughts on the impact of Web 2.0 on libraries. I think what I will remember most is that we are truly a service to our students, and we must meet them where they are. If they are longing for the perfect book to fall in love with and read from cover to cover, or if they need a biography, or want a video clip we must be ready and willing to match what we have to what they are looking for. I will still be in the business of developing a life-long learner, so I must use the tools I have and share them with all I can - students, teachers, parents, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment