Saturday, April 19, 2008

Thing #16: Wikis

Wikis are so cool! It's so much better than you email me, I email my friend, and so on and so on. With a wiki everyone has access to the same information at the same time, and it's all in one place! I used one for a group project so that my partners and I could post things we found to use in our presentation. It made it so much easier to keep track of what we still needed, and who was doing what. Then my husband's family was trying to organize things for a family get-together, and the email trail was getting to be ridiculous, so I offered the idea of a wiki and everyone loved it! Of course there were those who felt un-techno-savy who needed email reminders, but for everyone else it was great! They were even able to post pictures for a PowerPoint someone was putting together to show at the party. I was so proud to be able to educate my in-laws and make their coordination so much easier!
Plus, there are so many great things to use a wiki for in the library! Here are a few: have teachers post websites, rubrics, lessons, worksheets to share; have students post book reviews under genre headings; students can share the best websites to find information for projects or topics of interest; parents and teachers can use a wiki to communicate needs, concerns, suggestions, or help. I love all the wikis out there about libraries and books! My favorite link I found was to the Guys_Read website. Sometimes it's hard, being a female teacher-librarian, to figure out just what a 10 year old boy might want to read, but this place takes care of that for you! The hardest part about all the sites out there is that I don't know when I'll have the time to peruse them all, and where I will keep track of the ones I like! I guess I'll add them to my "delicious" page for safe keeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment