Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tool #11 - digital citizenship

Teaching students to be responsible on the internet is important from a young age. Students need to be taught the dangers of online sites as well as how to determine websites that are reliable sources to use. Last year I used the Brain Pop videos and quizzes to teach my fifth graders about being careful users of the internet. Another fun, quick video to use with students is made by the creators of "Phineas and Ferb" on Disney called "Common Sense with Phineas and Ferb" which links to the Common Sense Media website that has many useful tools for kids, parents, and teachers.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I enjoyed working with you last year on digital citizenship. I think it will be nice to do this as a school and build on the responsiblity piece each year. Let's do this in September!

    There is an interesting letter by the editor of School Library Journal about Common Sense Media. I'll try to bring you a copy.

    In addition, I think we need to include parents in our digital citizenship and online safety piece.

    You've been busy this summer...way to go on completing your 11 Tools and your degree! You are now a teacher/librarian. I look forward to "Learning on the Wild Side" with you in 2010-2011!

    ReplyDelete